Thursday 24 October 2013

Week 2 - Still Life

This week we were given a group of objects to practice our still life drawing. I got a ball of wool, a pair of trainers and a disco ball... This group was pretty interesting to try and draw as they were all so different to each other. I tried to draw quite loosely and to try to focus on what I thought was the main thing about each of these. So the ball of wool was a mess of lines going everywhere, the disco ball was a whole bunch of mirrors stuff on the ball reflecting different shades of what was around it and the shoes were there too I suppose. I think the shoes are what gave me the most difficulty on this task as drawing them I tried to focus on their shape and tone, but that led to my drawing style becoming more and more tight and trying to get things to be too perfect. This had the problem of both making the drawing overall less expressive and loose, as well as not being as accurate as it should instead have been, due to having a limited time and trying to get as much done in that time.


If I were to attempt this drawing again I would change the medium I was using to something like charcoal and work on a much larger scale. This would force me to be more loose with my drawing and hopefully make for a more cohesive piece, with things like the cotton wool and disco ball not just looking messy. Instead I would like them to be a bit more abstract and get across the general idea of what each thing was a bit better.



No comments:

Post a Comment