Thursday 2 January 2014

Low Poly Modelling


Beginning to model my character in maya I found these orthographic drawings of the ideal male proportions from Andrew Loomis. 


My plan was to model the characters body to these proportions and and then add the characters clothing and jewellery later






Using a render of the 3d I was able to quickly create an orthographic view of my character to draw the final costume designs onto. And then these would be used to model the characters clothing to scale




I then painted a final version in photoshop to use as a guide when creating my characters textures later. At this point I also decided to give the character a mask. These were commonly used in Mayan culture when they went into battle. Wether this was to scare their enemies or as part of some ritual isn't known for sure but I thought they were very cool looking, and it would let me delete some of the polygons on the characters face to try and cut down on some of the tris in my model.



I made two versions of the character with different collared paint and jewellery to find out which would work best. The blue one felt the most heroic in my opinion so I'm going to go with that. Plus, although I like the green paint I think it could make he character look a bit less human

1 comment:

  1. I find it is much easier to leave and extra set of Polys al the way down the model as a posed to ending it at the neck. It hides the seem a little beter

    ReplyDelete